Midnight was appointed in April 2017 with a brief to create a national buzz about Red7, reinforcing its status as the original and best hen and stag specialist travel agent, in the face of new market entrants.
Midnight’s campaign objectives were to:
- Raise awareness and preference for Red7 amongst target audiences, particularly within regional press, relevant wedding titles and nationally.
- Increase Red7’s share of voice
- Profile the founder, Ian Lucas, as a great employer locally
- Position Red7 as the original and best travel agent in the hen and stag sector
- Drive traffic to the Red7 website by securing backlinks.
Between June 2017 and June 2018, the campaign delivered nearly 300 items of coverage, reaching over 1.2bn. 183 backlinks were secured – well ahead of expectations at 43 per cent of total. One creative campaign idea when viral on LadBible resulting in a deluge of job applications!
Strategy & tactics
Our strategy was to create a national buzz around Red7, to make the brand synonymous with weddings, hen and stags, by using three key tactics:
- A photo story regarding Red7’s anniversary staff trip to Marbella, positioning the founder as ‘Britain’s Best Boss’ – also a great recruitment tool!
We made sure the photos were ideal for the tabloids and men’s lifestyle titles – to suit the company’s target market – and ensured the story included the key messages around the 20-year anniversary as ‘the original and best hen and stag expert’.
- A consumer survey into changing wedding traditions and the nation’s favourite celebrity wedding was conducted with over 2,000 respondents – giving the press another reason to rehash photos of top celeb weddings. We carefully crafted the questionnaire to ensure we could generate multiple stories to show excellent ROI.
- A comprehensive plan was created to maximise coverage for Britain’s Best Bridesmaid and Best Man competitions. We decided to shortlist the candidates by region, creating 14 regional finalists, seven regional winners and one overall winner to create opportunities in the regional press. We also planned out a series of press stories including the launch, the regional finalists and winners and finally the overall winner.
The campaign delivered nearly 300 items, reaching over 1.2bn with 183 backlinks to the Red7 website (43%).
Coverage was achieved in every region of the UK. Of the total, 20 items were national, including four features on Dailymail.co.uk. Over 60 items were print, nearly 200 online plus 40 broadcast.